Pattern Reviews

The Hayley Robe by Tammy Handmade – a sewing pattern review…

A new dressing gown, or robe whatever you’d rather call it, has been something that’s been on my ‘to sew’ list for quite some time so when Makerist kindly invited me to collaborate with them again on their most recent $2 sale campaign I of course said yes and after a scout through all of the wonderful patterns on their site, soon settled on the Hayley Robe by Tammy Handmade.

I loved the look of this pattern because it didn’t look too oversized as some robe patterns can be. I also loved that there were two length options given and of course you have the option to make it in whatever fabric you like depending on how light or cosy you’d like your robe to be.

Since I was sewing up my robe in September and the weather was still on the warmer side, I decided to make myself the above knee length robe in a light cotton fabric. I’d had this amazing Crane print cotton in my stash for quite a while and been unable to decide what to make with it, I thought a dressing gown in this print would work great as it’s kind of traditional but also the easy shape wouldn’t distort that lovely print too much.

After considering the size options given, I decided to go for the size 8 as the measurements were the closest to my own body measurements. I did consider sizing down just incase the robe came up largely oversized but I’m glad I didn’t as it’s a really lovely fit as it is.

I printed my PDF pattern out from the Makerist website and set about sticking my pattern together. This didn’t take too long as the shape is quite simple but the pattern pieces are quite large. I then cut out my fabric pieces and got to work.

I really enjoyed the sewing process of this and found it a lovely relaxing, fairly easy project to sew. As you can see from the image above, the gown has two very cute square, patch pockets which are sewn to the two fronts, I find patch pockets so satisfying to sew – anyone else?? Also, would you look at that totally unplanned pattern match I managed to pull off on the sleeve – that literally has never happened before, ever!

The shoulders, sleeves and side seams are all sewn flat which makes the process very easy and then the facing is attached all around the front to give it that lovely border. I really like the fact that there are belt loops sewn into the side seams and there is a little hanging loop pattern piece included too. Such a simple addition but something I so often forget to include in my garments.

The final steps are to hem the sleeves and bottom and sew up your tie belt and you’re done! I thoroughly enjoyed making up the Hayley Robe, and it’s such a lovely garment to have in my wardrobe. I’m definitely going to be making a warmer version for the colder months and I can’t wait to get fabric shopping for that one…!

Here are a few pictures of the finished product and if you’d like to buy this pattern for yourself you can do so here. Have you ever made a dressing gown – let me know in the comments below…

Until next time, take care and happy sewing!

Sally xxx

Leave a Reply